After reading some reports late Saturday night of Western Tanager reported that was misidentified and now was considered a Flame-colored Tanager sounded very exciting. From what I heard this species had only been reported a couple times in the south western US, Arizona and Texas so it is so very far out of it’s normal range. This bird lives in Mexico. The location was Sheridan Park so getting down there at sun up seemed like the thing to do. Could it still be there the next day? It was! After walking the bluff at the park with a few other birder for 1 1/2 hours the female bird was re-found. It gave nice views eating gnats along the bluff in trees looking down. What a big event! Life bird 373 for my Wisconsin list! It was a dark cloudy day and stiff winds off the lake from the east, temps around 38 degrees. Images were taken on April 30, 2023.
Follow my adventures!
- Kurt on Rudy-throated Hummingbird in Milwaukee County Wisconsin on June 5, 2023
- Laura on Dunlins at McKinley Beach in Milwaukee County Wisconsin on May 29, 2023
- KAREN JOHNSON on Dunlins at McKinley Beach in Milwaukee County Wisconsin on May 29, 2023
- Clifford Price on Scarlet Tanager at the Fox River Sanctuary in Waukesha Wisconsin on May 13, 2023
- Clifford Price on Ruddy Turnstones at McKinley Beach in Milwaukee County Wisconsin on May 25, 2023
Tagsamerican avocet american white pelican Barred Owl Black-bellied Plover black-crowned night heron Bobolink common goldeneye common loon Coyote dunlin Eastern Screech Owl Glaucous Gull great black-backed gull Great Blue Heron great egret greater scaup Great Horned Owl Great Horned Owl Owlets Green Heron Hooded Merganser Horned Grebe Horned Lark Killdeer Long-eared Owl Long-tailed Duck Mute Swan Prothonotary Warbler red-breasted merganser red-headed woodpecker Red-headed Woodpeckers Red-tailed Hawk Red Fox Redhead ruby-throated hummingbird Ruddy Turnstone rufous hummingbird Sanderling Sandhill Crane Snow Bunting snowy owl Warblers white-winged scoter wildflowers Wisconsin Native Wildflowers Wood Duck