I took a ride in the South Kettle Moraine in the afternoon and found some White-winged Crossbills at Stute Springs. There were roughly 20-25 birds very high up feeding on cone seeds and moving around plenty from tree to tree. After a few minutes they circled the area a few times and headed west. The photos are a little fuzzy as the birds were high up and far away. I have stopped here other times this winter and never saw a crossbill, pretty much hit and miss with this species at this location. It was a cold day with a pretty good breeze out of the north and a high temperature of 6 degrees for the day. Sunny skies did give some relief out of the wind. Images were taken on January 25, 2022.
Follow my adventures!
- Karen Johnson on Great Blue Herons at a rookery in southeast Wisconsin on March 24, 2023
- Pam Skaar on Great Blue Herons at a rookery in southeast Wisconsin on March 24, 2023
- Laura Mishefske on Great Blue Herons at a rookery in southeast Wisconsin on March 24, 2023
- Dennis Kuecherer on Great Blue Herons at a rookery in southeast Wisconsin on March 24, 2023
- Marilyn Runge on Great Horned Owl owlets in Milwaukee County Wisconsin on March 21, 2023
Tagsamerican avocet american white pelican Barred Owl Black-bellied Plover black-capped chickadee black-crowned night heron Bobolink common goldeneye common loon Coyote dunlin Eastern Screech Owl Glaucous Gull great black-backed gull Great Blue Heron great egret greater scaup Great Horned Owl Great Horned Owl Owlets Green Heron Hooded Merganser Horned Grebe Horned Lark Killdeer Long-eared Owl Long-tailed Duck Mute Swan Prothonotary Warbler red-breasted merganser red-headed woodpecker Red-headed Woodpeckers Red-tailed Hawk Red Fox Redhead ruby-throated hummingbird rufous hummingbird Sanderling Sandhill Crane Snow Bunting snowy owl Warblers white-winged scoter wildflowers Wisconsin Native Wildflowers Wood Duck